Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Carolina Handmade {AndelDesigns}


I have some beautiful jewelry for you today in the Carolina Handmade spotlight! I was introduced to Kim's lovely work through my new job at Tassels in Morehead City. We sell a collection of her jewelry there and it is truly gorgeous! I soon had to have my own necklace (the last one in the blog post!) and I get so many compliments on it! Check out her shop on Etsy and enjoy the interview!

Name:
Store:
Website:
How did you get started in your craft/art?
A friend from work started making jewelry several years ago and I really liked that all of her jewelry was unique so I started making my own as well. I live just around the corner from a wonderful bead shop called The Bead Lady and they have been so helpful in teaching me new tricks of the trade and their inventory is wonderful - they have beads that you don't find anywhere else. They have a knack for it and I've been lucky enough to pick it up! fyi - here's their website - - -
http://www.thebeadladyinconcord.com.
andel designs

Is this your day job or a hobby?

This is a hobby. My day job is very analytical. I advise banks on mergers and acquisitions and help with the overall integration of the multiple banks so I use the left/analytical side of my brain on a daily basis. Designing jewelry allows me to use my right/random side of my brain. During the week, although I live in NC, I work in CA from Monday through Thursday. I work project plans, step-by-step, looking a parts of activities. On the weekends, back in NC, I work on jewelry and picture something holistically - I see what I want the finished product to be and then build it.
andel designs

What is your favorite thing about creating/designing?

That I design one-of-a-kind pieces of jewelry - you won't find another one like it. One of my favorite things is buying shoes, then I buy an outfit to go with the shoes, then I design jewelry to pull the entire outfit together. Jewelry is seasonal too - just like you buy new colors and sandals for the summer, the beads are summer colors and styles. I love being able to move from one season to the next.
andel designs
Who is your strongest supporter?
My husband, Cary. He does things around our home that allow me extra time to make jewelry. He also has worked in interior design and is great with design and colors - he'll pull a picture out of a magazine of a beautiful piece of jewelry that costs thousands of dollars and I make something similar that doesn't even cost a hundred - it's a challenge!
andel designs
What keeps you motivated?
There are beads available from around the world and they all can be mixed and matched to make beautiful jewelry - there is no right or wrong - it's what you like. Every time I purchase new beads, it's because I can see what they can become and that gets me excited. Right now, I have more inventory than I can make and I would love to be able to sit down and get everything made and then start all over buying again!
andel designs
Any thing else you would like to tell us?
I started Andel Designs because I was making so much jewelry for myself and my family and friends that everyone started telling me I should start a business and sell it. It's tough for me sometimes to sell it because I design things I love and then I want to keep them, but there is no way I could wear it all. The name of my company is a little unique. Andel is the Czeck word for Angel and one of my favorite quotes is by Michelangelo, "I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free." I use a great deal of Czeck crystals in my designs and feel like I see beauty in each piece and work until I get something that is one-of-a-kind.
Thanks for sharing with us Kim! I love my necklace:)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis

Share |